Sunday 30 November 2014

Lots of km's and a new PB

So yesterday afternoon I was getting ready for a few afternoon beers with the boys when I thought to myself, it's way too nice a day to be in Melbourne, I'm going fishing! So I cancelled my plans, chucked Louie in the car and headed straight to Lake Tyers:



Unfortunately, it was almost unfishable. It was FULL of this filamentous green algae that made it almost impossible to drag a lure through the water:




I toughed it out and threw a bent around until dark but I didn't really expect to catch anything, and when the mozzies appeared I'd had enough. It was clear I had to rethink my game plan, and with Marlo only an hour down the road I just couldn't resist. So I jumped in the car, drove to Marlo, and found a nice quiet spot to spend the night, ready to hit the flats in the morning:







And first cast, I was on. I was sure this was a flatty, it just sat on the lure and shook it's head, but I was pleasantly surprised to see a big bream surface:




41cm to the tip, not a bad way to start the morning! I thought I was going to be in for a ripping sesh, but two hours later I hadn't caught another fish. Dang. I decided to have one last cast before heading up for breakfast, and after a pretty lacklustre fight, up popped this monster:



This guy was easily the biggest bream I've ever caught - 45cm to the tip. And thick! Check the girth and the head on him:



This pic gives a bit of an idea of scale:



How bloody good! I went back to my car feeling pretty smug and smashed a couple of sandwiches in record time, and after pulling a couple of these bastards off my legs:



I went straight back to the flats, and first cast I was on again:



A nice flatty in the mid 40s, and beautifully coloured:



I had a few more casts in this spot for nothing then started exploring. I covered a fair bit of ground but the fish had gone quiet again. By now it was almost midday and although it had turned into a beautiful day:



I had to get back to Melbourne, so I decided to have a cast in one last hole then head home. And I caught this cute little guy:



A great way to end what had been a killer day - those big bream definitely made the 800km's in under 24hours worth it.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment